12.06.2010

Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy



I typically do not have a record in mind when it comes time to throw some wax on the turntable...  so this blog is really as random as my mind.

Today, when digging through my records, I started in the T-Z crate and worked my way towards the A-B crate.  When I finally reached a point near the middle I came across one of my favorite jazz-rock fusion records.  Al Di Meola's (ADM) Elegant Gypsy.  I first discovered Al Di Meola either on Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior or through his recordings with John McLaughlin.  I first picked up ADM's Land of the Midnight Sun, which rocked my socks off.  His playing was clean and had a certain 'bite' to it.  I much preferred his solo material to the stuff he played with Return to Forever.  On Elegant Gypsy, his second solo outing recorded at the ripe old age of 22 or 23, you find similar material to Land of the Midnight Sun, only a little more shall I say, elegant?  Released just one year after his first solo record, which is also a masterpiece, Elegant Gypsy expands on his lightning fast guitar riffs and earth-shaking guitar solos.

This record was awarded Best Guitar Album an annual award given by Guitar Player MagazineElegant Gypsy sports a mere 6 tracks, but they are all worthy of their praise.  ADM was a genre bending guitarist, taking influence from Latin music and blending it with many other styles including (and most notably on this record) jazz and rock.  For fans of Santana, you may find a slight similarity in their playing styles at times.  Though ADM plays much faster than Santana.

Elegant Gypsy is a must listen for guitar players and air-guitar players alike.  Two key tracks that one must indulge themselves in are Race with Devil on Spanish Highway and Midnight Tango.  It is sad that he often goes overlooked but in today's musical (if it can be called music) age, it isn't too surprising.  If you can find this record, I HIGHLY recommend picking it up.  I purchased one for $0.50 and the other for $0.75 and both were in near mint condition.  And if you're into newer means of music download it or pick up the CD.  You will not be disappointed.

Track Listing:
Side one
  1. Flight Over Rio
  2. Midnight Tango
  3. Mediterranean Sundance
Side two
  1. Race with Devil on Spanish Highway
  2. Lady of Rome, Sister of Brazil
  3. Elegant Gypsy Suite
Personel:
Al DiMeola: Electric guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Piano, Percussion.
Paco de Lucía: Acoustic Guitar (track 3).
Anthony Jackson: Bass guitar.
Jan Hammer: Keyboards, synthesizer (tracks 1, 6).
Mingo Lewis: Percussion, Keyboards, Synthesizer.
Barry Miles: Piano, keyboards (tracks 2, 4).
Steve Gadd: Drums (tracks 1, 6).
Lenny White: Drums (tracks 2, 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment