12.22.2010

Soft Machine - Volume 2



Where to begin.....
Soft Machine has gone through many phases seeing many changes in line-ups.  The (almost) original line-up here on Volume 2 (1969) is often argued to be their best.  I am not a "Soft Nut" so I do not feel the need to add any input on the situation.  I do not care whether Hugh Hopper (seen, or heard here on V. 2) or Kevin Ayers (who has a song dedicated to him on this album) is on bass.  Either one gets the job done quite nicely.  

I happen to have two copies of this record.  One being a newer sealed copy and the other an old USA pressing.  I doubt it is an original but who knows.  When I first discovered this record I was not a fan.  I was only familiar with the Fourth and Bundles records at the time.  I wasn't even a fan of Fourth, but I loved Bundles.  During this time I was in a "the band must have an amazing guitarist for me to listen to them" mode, and Bundles fit the bill with Mr. Holdsworth on the 6-string.  

This specific record is a jazzy-psychedelic masterpiece.  It features some great drumming by Robert Wyatt and of course the biting, driving tone of Mike Ratledge on the keys.  I am obsessed with his tone.  One of the songs in the videos, "Hibou, Anemone and Bear," should showcase what I'm talking about.  This record definitely had to grow on me, or maybe it just took time for my young ears to mature enough to enjoy it, but it is now one of my all-time favorites.  The silly lyrics and great tunes are perfect for a chill afternoon.  I would have LOVED to have seen these guys live.  I will go ahead and include a live video just because I can.  I definitely have  A LOT more to say on this band and this record in particular, but I will withhold from doing so.  I'm tired and I just want to lay down.  So please enjoy the videos and hopefully you will find some pleasure in their musical offerings.

Track listing

Side one

  1. "Rivmic Melodies"
    1. "Pataphysical Introduction – part I" (Robert Wyatt) – 1:00
    2. "A Concise British Alphabet – part I" (Hugh Hopper, arr. Wyatt) – 0:10
    3. "Hibou, Anemone and Bear" (Mike Ratledge / R. Wyatt) – 5:58
    4. "A Concise British Alphabet – part II" (H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 0:12
    5. "Hulloder" (H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 0:52
    6. "Dada Was Here" (H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 3:25
    7. "Thank You Pierrot Lunaire" (H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 0:47
    8. "Have You Ever Bean Green?" (H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 1:23
    9. "Pataphysical Introduction – part II" (R. Wyatt) – 0:50
    10. "Out of Tunes" (M. Ratledge / H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 2:30

Side two

  1. "As Long as He Lies Perfectly Still" (M. Ratledge / R. Wyatt) – 2:30
  2. "Dedicated to You But You Weren't Listening" (H. Hopper) – 2:30
  3. "Esther's Nose Job"
    1. "Fire Engine Passing with Bells Clanging" (M. Ratledge) – 1:50
    2. "Pig" (M. Ratledge) – 2:08
    3. "Orange Skin Food" (M. Ratledge) – 1:52
    4. "A Door Opens and Closes" (M. Ratledge) – 1:09
    5. "10:30 Returns to the Bedroom" (M. Ratledge / H. Hopper / R. Wyatt) – 4:14

Personnel

  • Robert Wyatt – drums, lead and backing vocals
  • Mike Ratledge – piano, Lowrey Holiday De Luxe organ, Hammond organ, flute
  • Hugh Hopper – bass guitar, acoustic guitar, alto saxophone
with
  

This video cannot be embedded but if you're interested in seeing them live just click the link!!  It is worth it...
[SOFT MACHINE LIVE]

No comments:

Post a Comment